Thursday, September 21, 2017

A Month in Michigan

It is officially month! Honestly, before coming here, I was so scared on how I'm gonna adapt with everything here but everything turns out way better than I ever expected. 

First of all, there are a lot of hijabist here. Malaysians doesn't count lah. I was expecting they would judge me or have this weird questions on my hijab. So weird calling it hijab. Okaylah, scarfla. Yup, apparently there are quiet a number of muslims here.  It reminded me of this story. During this orientation week, there is this thing we, international students, has to do. It is to update our location/activity in the States. Anyway, so my whole group are Malaysians, well INTEC students. Boring. I know right. We gathered in this computer lab and the intentional officer was like, 'finally I can say this to the whole room. Assalamualaikum.' I dont know why I almost tears up. 

Then there's the weather. I was 16 degree Celsius when I first arrived. I remembered thinking it was so cold. I couldn't sleep that night because of it. After awhile I seems to get used to it. During orientation I found out that the weather here is so unpredictable. The oritntion leader said that he once experienced snow, rain, sunshine and breeze all under the course of 4 hours. 16 deg cel is nice. 22 deg cel is hot. Yes hot. Unless there is wind. The wind is pretty strong, and cold. The past few days the temperature is so hot. 29deg cel. Malaysia still win lah. Cannot challenge that one. I miss talking in Malaysia English. 

Next up is the mall. Oh I dont really have problem with the food here. What I eat at home is basically what I eat here. I eat more rice than I eat back in Malaysia. I'm so gonna gain weight. Back to the mall or practically where I shop most of the time. Meijer is like the local Jusco. Just the Jusco part without the stores. No the sentences doesn't make sense doesn't it. Okay, the supermarket section without the store (MPH, Sephora, Hinode Shop, Daiso). Just the Jusco, Oh, Jusco Dato' Onn already opened! The grocery section at Meijer is amazing. A lot of choices. A lot. Household items usually we, my roommates and I, would buy at Walmart. There is also Oriental Mart in town but it doesnt really get my hype up. 

Other than that, life here is pretty similar to what I have in Malaysia. Probably because there are A LOT of Malaysian here, especially in the area I'm living in. Those who live in these neighborhood are my batchmate, yeah from INTEC - tak berkembang langsung - except for this one house. They are the only senior who live around here. As a good seniors to the juniors, their name will pop up whenever we need something. They other day, we need to print some stuff. What do we do? Just go and knock on their door. They live across the road. I think the best part is they are a little crazy. Not crazy crazy but the crazy type I would hang out with. Definitely not the kind of dudes that only talk about academic and and everything that come out of their mouth sound so formal. 

I have this Sexual Assault online seminar that I need to finish up. I just keep the video running while I;m typing this post. I dont know this post is a lil messy and all over the place. My friend just posted a picture of burger. Weyh, burger Ramli man. I miss burger Ramli. Enough now. Have a good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment